Saturday 13 April 2019

My Last Mandate (part 4)


In June 2015 I began writing my book; really fast in spite the problems due to my damages brain. In spite of all the hard crisis we managed to save our new fish farm and on 30th June it was finished, physically and bureaucracy wise. We also managed to buy fish and the fishing season was saved. My book was finished at the beginning of August and I am really grateful to Danica Taljat (my nephew’s wife) who offered to proofread it free of charge. We cooperated really well, so the book was ready for printing in Gaya d. o. o. at the end of August. My youngest son Luka designed the book cover. I had to keep reminding him of his promise and finally he found the inspiration and did it well. In the morning of September 18th the books were delivered to Tolmin Fishing Club, which was on the day of opening ceremony of the new fish farm.
Of course the book was not the only thing on my mind. On 6th June I started negotiating for a new credit in NKBM and the Land Bank of Slovenia. Faronika should return the money to my daughter Tina soon, and we had to buy the necessary fish farm equipment. The next day the manager of the Land Bank of Slovenia came. First I showed him the new fish farm, and then I told him why we needed the credit. I also mentioned the possibility of cooperation in future.  We agreed for a 150.000 eur credit for five years and deferral of the principal for two years. The interests would be 1% lower than those with previous credits.
Thinking of those procedures today I find them funny. When I invited Mr Slokar from the Land Bank of Slovenia (DSB), Dušan Jesenšek, the manager of Faronika d. o. o., didn’t join us. In fact it was his task to manage business affairs before and after the investment. Well, we know why I had to manage them. It would be normal that Tolmin Fishing Club and I as its president should do the investment. But we had to establish a new company and appoint a new manager in order to get the money for the investment. In fact all the other things went on as previously.
However, I was sure that as we had finished the investment effectively and since then the manager  Dušan Jesenšek would be able to manage it normally. Very soon, at the beginning of August, a new problem appeared. The manager of the Land Bank of Slovenia from Nova Gorica called me and told me they couldn’t approve the credit since all our assets were mortgaged. I claimed it wasn’t possible. We had built a new fish farm worth 2,5 million eur and there should have been some mistake. The general manager did not give up. I felt very uncomfortable, like many times before. Then I remembered that we all gave it a mortgage, including the plot where we had built Faronika,  when we got the investment loan from the Austrian bank.
I spent another night sleepless. I was considering different solutions, but no one was to my liking. I was afraid we couldn’t get a credit and I couldn’t return the money to my daughter. Furthermore it would be hard working in the new fish farm without a forklift and other equipment. Early in the morning I went to the office to thoroughly check all contracts on investment loans, and I found it was true what the bank manager claimed. When negotiating a new credit with the Land Bank of Slovenia, the manager suggested they would take over a loan from the Austrian bank, if they agreed. So I checked that contract and if we were to do that, a compensation of 22.000 eur should be paid.
So I soon phoned the Austrian bank. They didn’t agree with my proposal, but they offered an additional credit instead, since the situation normalized in their bank. We soon signed an agreement for 120.000 eur loan and could return the money to my daughter and buy some equipment on time.
                                                            ***
On 18th September 2015 we had the opening of our new fish farm. In the morning my books “From the Marble Trout to Faronika” were delivered. At 5 p.m. the opening ceremony of the new fish farm was on. A few days before our plan was like this: I, the president of Tolmin fishing family, would be the first speaker, Dušan Jesenšek, the manager of Faronika d. o. o., would be the second, but the major speaker would be Mr Dejan Židan, the minister of agriculture. I changed the order of speakers, placing the manager of Faronika to the first place, me following. I need to say why I did that. People in Ministry of Agriculture always feared that there would be a problem in Brussels if there was even a hint that the Fishing Club had anything to do with the investment. Therefore we had to establish a new company and be careful not to mention the role of the Fishing Club. So I assumed it would be only natural that the manager of the new company had the first speech. 
About 100 people were invited to the opening ceremony, most of them who were of great support at our project. After the speeches we had a cultural programme, besides the weather was wonderful.  I feel like mentioning that the minister of agriculture in Check republic, who was visiting Slovenia at the time being, was present at our ceremony, too. After the ceremony we were all supposed to go to restaurant Labrca where degustation of our fish and more was prepared. My books were there ready for the invitees. We also prepared symbolic presents for the important invitees, like the minister of agriculture. Unfortunately he left soon after the ceremony, because he had the meeting with the members of his party in Tolmin. Mr Židan helped us a lot with our project and that’s why I asked him to give a speech. It was very disappointing for me and the rest of us when he left so soon and didn’t join us in the evening. Nevertheless our pleasant socializing lasted till late night and I had a lot of work signing my books for the invitees. Dušan didn’t come near me for the whole evening and I noticed he was avoiding me. It was month later when he came to my office asking me for the book. Of course I was happy to give him one with a written dedication.
The next day, on Saturday, we had our new fish farm open for public. In the afternoon there was the Marble Trout Festival and the 60th anniversary of Primorska Association of Fishing Clubs. When I arrived to Faronika in the morning, I couldn’t believe my eyes; there were numerous people and I had troubles finding a parking place in front of the former hotel Centroslavija. I estimated there were about 500 hundred people and that meant a good promotion for Tolmin fishing family and our company Faronika d. o. o. Everyone was served a drink and snacks made of our fish.
I won’t say a lot of what was going on in the afternoon, since such happenings resemble each other. Many people were awarded medals and diplomas. In short, I was sure my task was accomplished at that point.
                                                           ***
Almost a year passed since I had a stroke and I could work as the president of Tolmin fishing family quite normally though I had problems talking and writing. I was particularly disturbed because I couldn’t always say the words I wanted at the meetings. I also found it hard to communicate with strangers, though I could speak many foreign languages before my illness. So I was thinking of finishing my career in Tolmin Fishing Club. I ran for the last turn only to build the farm, and now, when it's over and I'm no longer a 100% president, it would be best to resign.
During my sick leave Andrej Costantini replaced me. Soon after returning from hospital I asked my wife to call into the fishing family office. She told the accountant to transfer my salary to Andrej every month. Even when I was ready to go back to work I proposed Andrej to help me with some jobs and we would get half a salary each. At that time I got to know him better. He was hardworking but not determined enough in some matters. We often talked, so one day I said to him; “I can’t work as the president of the Fishing Club so well as before, and I accomplished a major project, so now I am ready to resign.  I would recommend you at assembly of members to finish my mandate!”
I have no idea why he didn’t agree with my proposal. I often tried to persuade him, but his response was always the same. He thought I should finish it myself. When I realized he wouldn’t change his mind, I stopped asking him and didn’t mention any of our talks to anybody. Thinking of the near future, I realized I had another task. When we started the investment we were at the loss of money, so our members lent their money. We managed to gather over 60.000 € this way.  I was aware that we were to return that money to our members; 20.000 eur in 2016 and about 45.000 eur in 2017. That was the main reason why I remained the president of the fishing family; I wanted the task to be fulfilled correctly.
                                                        ***
I often went to the new fish farm, sometimes even early in the mornings at weekends. The graylings were still dying though the temperature of water was lower. In November Dušan brought 60.000 young marble trout, about 6 cm long. The fact that Faronika didn’t sell any fish to other buyers disturbed me. We had to pay interest on loans, and the highest cost were the salaries and fish food. I repeatedly warned the manager that it was high time to start marketing and selling. I was very careful with the money myself. Every month I called the meeting with the manager and the accountant in order to check cash flow for three months in advance for both, the Fishing Club and Faronika. We never came to illiquidity because I could react in time.
Towards the end of the year Andrej helped me prepare the statistics for the previous fishing season. He was also preparing new contracts for selling fishing permits for the next season. He also helped in Faronika and thanks to him a small shop was open on 9th December 2015. I posted the news with some photos on Facebook, and soon Roman Dolinšek, the president of Supervisory Board of Tolmin fishing family, commented: “I’m afraid we won’t have enough fish to put into our rivers!”
I thought he was just joking, so I replied we would buy them in the fish farm. Later I realized that what he wrote was meant seriously.
At Christmas my daughter’s family and my youngest son came home. When we lived in Dar es Salaam we used to buy big fish from Indian Ocean and they were delicious. So at that event we agreed to buy a big fish from Faronika. I went to the fish farm and chose a 3 kg heavy fish from Rižana. Tribal flock of these fish are the Adriatic river trout according to mitohondrian DNK. We get eggs from them for Koper Fishing Club. They are really beautiful, rather wider than longer. On my way home I stopped at the local shop Kmetijska zadruga in Tolmin and showed the fish to the office workers. They we thrilled about it, and when it became jumping it was really funny!
On Christmas day my wife prepared the fish in the oven, like she used to do in Africa. I had to cut off its head and tail, if I wanted to put it diagonally on to a baking dish. Our lunch was delicious and we became nostalgic thinking of our days in Africa.
We agreed to prepare a meal from some fish, rainbow trout, from Faronika one of the following days. Since I knew Pele was on duty on Sunday, I went to the fish farm early in the morning to buy some rainbow trout. When I arrived, Dušan was there and I found it strange to find him there on Sunday. He didn’t even greet me, he just ran off to his office. I noticed that Pele didn’t look fine either. He opened one of the pools for me and what I saw was horrible. On the surface of water the raibow trouts were lying dead.
I understood why Pele was so miserable. On the same Sunday, 5th December 2005, they called me from the fish farm in Zalog, where one ton of graylings died and Pele was on duty there as well. It was time of heavy raining and at the entrance of fish farm there were many tree branches and leaves, so consequently there was not enough water flow through the fish farm. The fish didn’t get enough oxygen.  Isolated marble trouts and breeding graylings were rarer in the pools so they remained alive. The one and two year old grayling were very dense in the three swimming pools, so they lacked oxygen and died. At that time, the Steering Committee made a survey and considered that Pele did not arrive on time and so he was punished. I am sorry for that decision even nowadays!
It seemed impossible that something like that could happen in the new fish farm. It must have been the fault of the builders; they must have left something in the swimming pool pipeline. The water had already been cleaned before it came from the fish farm in Zalog which is 1100 meters away. In the reservoir in Faronika the water is once again purified before it flows through the pipeline into 14 pools. So what happened?
Dušan called all the workers and they began taking fish from the pools and cleaned them. At the same time he called other fish farms in Slovenia, asking if they would sell fresh rainbow trout at a reduced price. I was present for some hours and estimated that about 200 kg fish had died. In fact the number was even higher, it was 450 kg. The water was just leaking from the pipeline to the pool, although it was fully turned on. When the fish were taken from the pool the water suddenly broke out. We noticed parts of a big marble trout in the pool! So that was the reason of the clogged pipeline! That marble trout came from a tribal flock in Zalog. It had to jump in front of the net into the long pipeline, and when it came into the reservoir in Faronika, it had to jump over the net once more and from the chambers into the pipeline for that pool. In the pool there is a curved pipeline where it must have stopped. After some hours the water pressure tore it and so it could come to the pool in pieces. It’s incredible!
Just before lunch I brought home some of those fish and I didn’t tell anyone what had happened for a long time. I was afraid that there might be another serious accident. I hoped it wouldn’t, because I am usually an optimist. Anyway, the year was over and I thought that the main problems were over.
                                                     ***
At the beginning of each year a business report for assembly of members had to be done. The last fishing season was not too good because we sold too little fishing permits. Of course that depended on the weather and the water status, which is normal in our branch. We had a loss of 14,400 eur in our Fishing Club, while we had a 19,200 eur profit the year before. I didn’t like those facts, as I was aware that we were constantly on the verge of liquidity. Last February we had no problem paying off the credit to our members so in the past year I wanted to prepare a deposit of at least € 40,000, but I failed. Nevertheless we somehow managed to return all members' loans worth € 45,000. Soon after that I wrote a kind thank you letter to all our member creditors mentioning that I was counting on them if we would need their help any time in the future. I told my secretary that it was urgent to send those letters as soon as possible. I was afraid that liquidity would be difficult to be obtained until mid-May, when money from tourist fishing permits starts coming.
Our secretary is very good with the clients, but unfortunately she is not efficient completing the tasks on time. For 17 years I kept warning her about the minutes, letters, etc., but I was not able to influence on her. Like many times before the thank you letters were not sent on time, so I had to tell her she needn’t have bordered, as it was too late anyway. A letter like that is sensible to be send soon after repayment of obligations, or never.
Mr Costantini and I often talked about the problem of selling fish from Faronika. What we sold in our small shop was too little. In January he mentioned it would be wise to start selling fresh fish in the local shop of the agriculture cooperative of Tolmin. Let me mention at this point that he knows all the sales procedures. As I found his proposal very wise, I soon phoned the manager of The Agriculture Cooperative. He invited me to come to his office to discuss the matter. We both agreed the idea was good; the only drawback was that he had to get a certificate in their Executive Committee, which would last a few days. I told him that Mr Costantini would come to arrange all the procedures concerning the sale.
I was pleased we would finally sell our fish in local shops, so I went to the manager of Faronika to tell him the good news. I thought he would be happy to accept a little help from Andrej and me, but when I told him the news, he angrily replied: “Well, I am the manager, so why should Mr Costantini help me!”
Well, I soon realized he was bothered by a manager's syndrome, so I said:” God help, of course you are the manager; we only want to help you. Finally it will be your decision about the contract and the price; I just think Costantini knows all the selling procedures better than you. Call the manager of The Agriculture Cooperative and discuss the major matters with him.”
He remained silent for some time, and then he asked: “Have you paid that fish from Rižana on Christmas?”
“Of course I have, you know that I pay all fish I take in Faronika. I paid it to Robi. First he insisted I’d take it free, as I am the president of The Fishing Club, but I insisted and paid for it according to the price list. Well, I suggested paying twice as much as rainbow trout costs. And so we agreed it was a fair deal.”
 Dušan replied immediately: »That fish was more expensive. You should have paid the price of the marble trout, which is 35 € a kilo!”
“Good god!” I found it silly to continue talking to him. It didn’t even come to his mind that I was his boss and that his remarks were inappropriate.
Later I phoned both, the manager of The Agriculture Cooperative and Costantini, to tell them how to deal with Dušan to prevent misunderstandings. Let me remark, that there is still no contract between Faronika and Kmetijska zadruga at that point.
On 2nd February 2016 first fish from Faronika were sold in the local shops of The Agriculture Cooperative Tolmin.
                                                         ***
When the reports for the assembly of members were ready, I sent them and the invitations for the meeting to the members of the Management Board and the Chairman of the Supervisory Board. The meeting was a great disappointment for me. After overcoming all the challenges and finishing the fish farm successfully, I had to listen to critics of hum much money we had spent and how the fishing season was bad. I wanted to convince the members that we needed time to see the results (the marble trout and grayling should be growing for two years, whereas we would be able to put these fish into rivers), but it was all in vain.
The plan of putting rainbow trout into rivers proved to be problematic. The plan was prepared by Dušan, the master of our Fishing Club, and approved by the Management Committee under my leadership. In the coming fishing season, 13,300 kg of rainbow trout was to be put into rivers, which was 700 kg less than allowed by the Ministries of Agriculture and Environment. It was my fault not to be too careful. I knew Dušan tended to plan less rainbow trout than it was allowed but he planned more sprouts  of marble trout and grayling. On the other hand I wanted more fish to be put into rivers, so the fishing would be better than the previous year. I was looking forward of putting rainbow trout from our new fish farm into rivers during the whole season. If I demanded to rise the putting of rainbow trout into rivers, the problem would not appear at all.
Some members and the Chairman of the Supervisory Board were furious that we hadn’t planned the maximum possible number of rainbow trout to be put into rivers. It was in vain trying to reassure them that we could soon change the plan. Our misunderstanding was the topic of conversations among the members for long time. In February of that year we had had three meetings and I can’t remember when exactly I got my nerves off and I left in the middle of the session. While leaving I angrily remarked: “I don’t have to stand that nonsense anymore!”
Having arrived home I sat in the garage, lit my cigar, poured some cognac and thought: “I can’t stand that anymore, I’m going to resign. I am 73 and I can’t listen to such stupid discussions.”
Since I was 28, when I first became a manager, I have always had similar functions. When I was to resign, I always cold headedly thought about it, revising arguments for and against, and I was never as upset as that day. Some days later, when I calmed down, I decided not to resign.



No comments:

Post a Comment